1978 - 79 Season
16th Season 12-5 (168-50-3 career record);
Team Captains Rob Albert and Keith Fairman
From the yearbook:
Outstanding and Proud
Our "family" proved themselves united when the power of our mighty Blue Eagles drove the squad to second place in League competition. With the successful season behind them, Coach Ray Nunamaker's wrestlers were ready to tackle District competition.
Excitement began to stir in the crowd when both Jody Werner and Robbie Albert picked up first place slots. Alan Haberle had a stunning victory when he pinned his strong rival Abe Ateigh, and went on to earn a second place slot. As always, Keith Fairman kept the fans on the edge of their seats and also took second place in his weight class.
These victories qualified the "Fantastic Four" for Regional competition, where the crowd wnet wild as one by one they gained four Regional titles, sending Coach Nunamaker on to State competition with the largest number of entries of his very successful career.
Dual Meet Results:
- Nazareth 47, Dieruff 20
- Nazareth 56, Salisbury 9
- Nazareth 51, Lehighton 5
- Nazareth 40, Palisades 17
- Nazareth 12, Easton 40
- Nazareth 41, Catasauqua 12
- Nazareth 36, Wilson 19
- Nazareth 25, Freedom 18
- Nazareth 19, Saucon Valley 34
- Nazareth 28, Council Rock 13
- Nazareth 39, Pen Argyl 16
- Nazareth 19, Maple Point 21
- Nazareth 14, Liberty 34
- Nazareth 36, Bangor 13
- Nazareth 15, Parkland 33
- Nazareth 32, Southern Lehigh 19
- Nazareth 28, Northampton 23
First Assistant, Steve Kulicki; Second Assistant, Sebastian Rampulla, Cheerleading Coach, Ruth Ann McCay
Jody Werner wins the Christmas City Tournament at 132 and Alan Haberle is runner-up at 185.
Nazareth is 2nd in the Colonial League Tournament with Roger Manini, Keith Fairman, Robbie Albert, and Alan Haberle all winning titles.
- 126 - Keith Fairman loses a 2-2,6-0 OT final to Liberty's Lou Capuano.
- 132 - Jody Werner defeats Wade Davis of Allen 10-3.
- 155 - Rob Albert pins Paul Dauscher of Freedom in 3:09
- 185 - Alan Haberle loses a 5-3 decision to Parkland's Russ Hall.
- 119 - John Sofka finishes 4th
Nazareth claims four Northeast Regional champions with Robbie Albert, Keith Fairman, Alan Haberle, and Jody Werner.
PIAA State Championships
Al Haberle drops a 2-1 decision in the first round to Tom Dages of Haverford.
Keith Fairman, Jody Werner, and Rob Albert all advance to the quarter finals at states.
Fairman at 126 wins his opening match 4-0, but loses 3-2 in the quarterfinals to Jeff Perri of Mount Lebanon. In the match, Perri scores the initial takedown and rides Fairman out. In the second Perri escapes to go up 3-0. Fairman scores a reversal in the 3rd.
Werner won by fall in his opening match at 132, but lost 8-5 in the quarterfinals to Chuck Groves of Conestoga. As best I can tell from a scoring on the back of the program, Groves gets the initial takedown, but Werner reverses and gets reversed. In the second, Groves reverses and Werner gets an escape and takedown. In the third Groves reverses for the 8-5 win.
Albert won his opening round 5-3 and lost to Dave Oliverio of Trinity in the quarterfinals 10-3. Oliverio finished 2nd. Oliverio scored the initial takedown and escaped, but yielded another takedown. Oliverio had an escape, takedown and 2 point nearfall. Albert had a reversal for the 10-3 final.
Also at states:
- Parkland's Doug Billig wins at 98, Whitehall's Mike Levandusky falls to eventual 2nd place Orr by referee's decision in the quarters. Apparently the only consolation was semi's losers for 3rd and 4th.
- At 105 pounds, Kevin Darkus of Cathedral Prep defeated Parkland's Rich Shoemaker in the semi-finals. Darkus would go on to Iowa State and become a 3x All American and silver medalist in the world championships.
- Rich Santoro of Bethlehem Catholic won the 112 pound class over Kraig Nellis of Shaler, whose brother Ken lost to Darkus and whose younger brother Kyle would defeat Jim Albanese in the 1982 finals.
- Freedom's Rich Negrete loses in overtime 1-0 in the 119 pound semifinals.
- Bethlehem Catholic's Tom Bold posts 3 falls and a major decision to win the state title at 138 pounds.
- Matt Reiss of Liberty lost in overtime to the eventual champion, John Reich of Neshaminy in the semifinals.
Graduating in 1979 for the Blue Eagles (with 30 or more career wins):
- Rob Albert 69-21-1 with 27 pins
- Roger Manini 62-16 with 16 pins
- Keith Fairman 55-13-2 with 22 pins
- Jody Werner 49-11-3 with 15 pins
- Alan Haberle 37-17-1 with 21 pins
- J. Albanese: 10-13
- D. Hickswa: 0-1
- L. Ashenfelder: 4-5
- M. Daney: 0-1
- B. Fehnel: 5-11
- R. Noll: 0-3
- B. Shoemaker: 4-8
- J. Pettis: 0-2
- D. Rader: 0-2
- B. Stout: 6-6-1
- S. Treon: 5-11-1
- R. Albert: 26-3
- K. Fairman: 19-2
- S. Getz: 10-9-1
- A. Haberle: 23-9
- T. Halbfoerster: 13-11-1
- R. Manini: 21-6-1
- H. Schoeneberger: 0-1
- J. Sofka: 12-11-3
- S. Taff: 0-1
- J. Werner: 27-4-2
Rob Albert becomes the career win leader (69), Roger Manini is 3rd (62), Keith Fairman 5th (55), Jody Werner 7th (49), and Alan Haberle tied for 11th (37).
Keith Fairman sets the school fastest pin record at 133 with a 0:21 fall over Dieruff as does Alan Haberle at 185 over defending District XI champion Abe Atiyeh in 0:26, also of Dieruff.
Jody Werner had the 2nd most wins in a season (27), Rob Albert was tied for 3rd (26), and Alan Haberle tied for 7th (23). Rob Albert had the most career takedowns (69) and most career matches (91).
Rob Albert is 4th (27) for career pins, Keith Fairman is 6th (22), and Alan Haberle 7th (21).
Rob Albert sets the record for takedowns in a season besting his junior year (69) and Jody Werner, Greg Leh, and Todd Lahr are 7th and tied for 8th respectively.
Rob Albert has 6th most pins in a season (13) and Alan Haberle is 7th (11).
Jody Werner is tied for 6th for most team points in a season (63).
- Jane Brown
- Kathy Correll
- Brenda Geffert
- Becky Santee
- Kim Shafer
- Sue Dlugos
- Lynn Rader
- Tammy Bajan
- Kathy Behrens
- Ann Belkey
- Kay Hess